Friday, November 9, 2007

The Great Wave off Kanagawa, Tatebanko


I recently came across Tatebanko, which is a "forgotten Japanese art of creating amazing dioramas and scenic perspective from paper." Tatebanko was popular and widely admired from the Edo period ( 17th century ) to the early 20th century. Then it all but disappeared.
The site Tatebanko.com is now attempting to revive it, above is a sample of a tatebanko made from the famous Japanese painting The Great Wave Off Kanagawa.

I've seen this technique used before, for a CD cover, but for the life of me (and despite my ever expanding bookmarks folder) I cant find the example...sorry. But I'm definitely going to put in on my list of crafty techniques to experiment with.
Stumbled upon via CoolHunting.

1 comment:

Sam Suttie said...

I adore these paintings,if you give it a ago please please post the result.